Friday 9 November 2012

Roasted Rhubarb & Apple Compote


I am a complete porridge addict. I think I have had porridge for breakfast, almost without fail, since about April. I loathe the day it is too hot to have porridge (and then I plan on swapping to Bircher, when I master a recipe for that). So it stands to reason I like to mix it up and have delicious toppings on my porridge each day, my favourite of which is Roasted Rhubarb & Apple Compote. Equally delicious served with your favourite Muesli, it is divine straight from the oven with a dollop of greek yoghurt.

I make this at least once a week, and it might do me 4-5 breakfasts. It's pretty easy to whip up when you have the oven on for something else. I have a very big oven, so I am often looking for another reason to turn it on - I think this comes from my Seymour/Nana/WW2 heritage....I'm blaming my mother anyway (but I think it's a good trait to have!)

It keeps well in the fridge, and is actually pretty good cold too. It's a nice way to use up some not-so-fresh apples that didn't pass Lester's "Fresh Apple Flick' test too :) I find the rhubarb texture is much nicer roasted in the oven than cooked on the stovetop into a mush too.

Roasted Rhubarb & Apple Compote



5-10 sticks of Rhubarb (quantities are not so important here, add a bit more sugar if use a lot of Rhubarb)
4-5 apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon
Rind and Juice of 1-2 oranges
4 Tablespoons Hakanoa Ginger Syrup (or water). Hakanoa is available at Red Kitchen, Vetro, Farro etc type stores and tastes like liquid gingerbread...mmmm.
Optional - vanilla extract - I don't bother as I always put vanilla in my actual porridge mix.
Optional - raisins or sultanas (credit to mum for this wee addition)

Cut the rhubarb into 1-inch lengths - you want it to stay in pieces, not disintegrate into mush. Core and ut the apples into thickish slices - I leave the skin on as it helps it keep it's shape.
Put into a roasting dish - I use a rectangular glass one - and cover with the brown sugar, cinnamon, orange rind and juice, and the ginger syrup. Mix around to cover the fruit evenly.

Roast in an 180 degree oven for about 30 minutes, stirring once to coat the fruit in the cooking juices. The fruit will colour up a bit, and the juices will thicken up and make a nice syrupy sauce.


The best part - you need to do a little quality control. Have a nice little bowlful hot from the oven with greek yoghurt and slivered almonds. Delicious.


 I make my porridge with a ratio of 2/5ths wholegrain/jumbo oats, 2/5ths rolled oats, 1/5th white quinoa. Soak overnight with water, then cook with about 1/2 cup milk per cup of oat mix until quinoa is no longer opaque. Stir in vanilla extract and about 3 tablespoons LSA mix at the end. So yummy and good for you too - this is low GI and high protein. I make up a cup of oat mix at a time, and that is enough for 4 servings - I just microwave to reheat.

The best way to start your day - trust me - I wake up in the morning and can't wait to tuck into this!

2 comments:

  1. G this sounds AMAZING. I'm intrigued about the quinoa in the actual porridge - I need to try it - so you stove top cook the oat mix initially as per normal porrige and zap a portion each morning? Mmmm. Do you have a fejoa and apple compote recipe as well? I miss fejoas!! (I also want to know where you got your goosey cup measures from too, they are too cute!!) I'm loving the blog!! So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello intrepid traveller. Yup, just cook on the stove top, but make quite liquidy, not stodgy, as will absorb more water as it cools. I just divide it into 5 plastic containers, then each morning add a bit more milk on top and microwave each morning. stir well, devour. I actually add protein powder after this too, pretty yummo. You could swap out the rhubarb for any fruit, so next winter let me know how you get on with the feijoas! I usually get stewed feijoas from mum :) The cup measures were a one off find at the antique and collectables fair sorry - they are such good friends to me :) Thanks for the blog love xx

    ReplyDelete